Hot Chocolate Smoothie Bowl
Author: Amanda @ Running with Spoons
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tbsp nut butter OR dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup*
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- The night before, add all ingredients (except chocolate chips, if using) to the bowl of your blender and give it a stir to ensure that everything is well combined. Cover and place in fridge for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight. This step isn't absolutely necessary, but allowing the oats to soak for a few hours will make them easier to blend and give you a smoother, creamier smoothie.**
- When ready to eat, blend on high until oats are fully broken down and a smooth and creamy consistency is reached.
- Transfer the smoothie to a small saucepan set over medium heat (adding chocolate chips, if using) and bring to a simmer or boil, depending on how hot you want it. If the smoothie is too thick, add an extra splash of almond milk until desired consistency is reached.
- When your smoothie reaches your preferred temperature, transfer it to a bowl, garnish with toppings of choice, and enjoy!
* You can sub this with whichever liquid sweetener you have on hand.
** if you have no time to let your oats soak, you can simply skip to step 2 and 3, but then transfer your warm smoothie back to your blender and blend until it becomes creamy.