STRAWBERRY RHUBARB COFFEE CAKE
A fruit-filled coffee cake with
a crispy crumb topping
AUTHOR: Annalise | Completely Delicious
FOR THE CAKE:
- 1/3 cup (88 grams) sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup (124 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 grams) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (1 gram) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 gram) salt
- 6 tablespoons (85 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
FOR THE FRUIT FILLING:
- 8 ounces (230 grams) strawberries, sliced
- 8 ounces (220 grams) rhubarb, sliced
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) sugar
- 1 tablespoon (10 grams) cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
FOR THE CRUMB TOPPING:
- 1/3 cup (60 grams) brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (65 grams) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 3/4 cup (210 grams) all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch springform pan, line the bottom with parchment paper, butter the parchment paper, and dust the entire pan with flour.
- To make the crumb topping, mix all ingredients with a fork in a small bowl until combined. Set aside.
- To make the cake batter, whisk together the sour cream, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract in a small bowl. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and butter. Mix on medium high speed until combined and mixture has come together into a crumbly dough. Add the sour cream mixture in three additions, mixing after each until just combined.
- Spread the cake batter into the bottom of the prepared springform pan. In a medium bowl, combine the sliced strawberries and rhubarb, sugar, cornstarch and ginger. Toss to coat and scatter on top of the cake batter. Use a fork to break the crumb mixture into large chunks and sprinkle over the top of the fruit mixture.
- Bake for about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few crumbs and the crumb topping is lightly golden brown. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, the remove the sides and cool completely on a wire rack.
- The coffee cake can be stored covered in the fridge for several days.
Source, images, credits & more information: CompletelyDelicious