Rhubarb Vanilla Pound Cake
Rhubarb Vanilla Pound Cake is a heavy, dense cake in the most delightful of manners. The cake has a sweet, creamy quality which contrasts with the tart rhubarb pieces scattered throughout. The cake is best served by itself, or with a glass of milk or mug of coffee.
AUTHOR: Pastry Affair
- 2 cups (240 grams) rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups (300 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup (115 grams) butter, room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract)
- 1/3 cup (75 grams) sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (190 grams) all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Lightly grease a loaf pan.
- In a medium frying pan, mix the cut rhubarb with 1/4 cup sugar. Over medium-high heat, cook the rhubarb until it is fork tender but not mushy, about 5 minutes. The rhubarb needs to be able to hold its shape or it will get lost in the cake batter. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs one at a time, mixing well between additions. Mix in the vanilla bean paste, sour cream, and salt until uniform. Stir in the flour until just incorporated. Gently fold in the rhubarb pieces and any juice remaining in the pan.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and sprinkle the top with a tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm or room temperature, with a cup of tea or spoonful of strawberry jam.
Source, images, credits & more information: Pastry Affair