Mango Habanero Barbecue Sauce Recipe
Nothing says summer like the fruity heat of this mixture, carefully composed to balance savory barbecue-sauce tang against sweet mango and habanero spice.
Author: Joshua | SeriousEats
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 1/2 cups roughly chopped peeled fresh mango, about 2 medium magnos
- 1 cup mango juice
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons fresh juice from about 2 limes
- 1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped habanero chiles, seeded (about 2 chilis, see note)
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Stir in mangoes, mango juice, tomato sauce, brown sugar, honey, vinegar, molasses, lime juice, Worcestershire, mustard, habanero, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until mangos have completely softened and sauce has slightly thickened, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Puree sauce with an immersion blender, or in the jar of a regular blender, until smooth. Let cool to room temperature, transfer to a jar and store in refrigerator for up to a month.
Source, image, credits & more information: SeriousEats